DEXATONG Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate Injection 1%
Each ml contains Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate eq. to Dexamethasone Phosphate 10 mg.
Dexamethasone is a synthetic corticosteroid with a potent anti-inflammatory action.
Dexatong 10 can be used for:
(1) Intravenous therapy in cases where emergency treatment is indicated, particularly shock and circulatory collapse, fog fever, acute mastitis and burns.
(2) Acetonaemia (ketosis) in cattle. Dexamethasone has a marked glucogenic action.
(3) Inflammatory conditions in all species: the product will suppress inflammation and is indicated in the treatment of arthritis, laminitis, dermatitis etc.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
By intravenous or intramuscular injection.
Normal aseptic precautions should be observed.
Recommended Dosage Schedule:
Horses and cattle: 0.06mg/kg body weight corresponding to 0.3 ml per 50 kg
Dogs and cats: 0.1mg/kg body weight corresponding to 0.1 ml per 10 kg.
Horses 500 kg - 3 ml
Cattle 400 kg - 2.4 ml
Dogs 10 kg - 0.1 ml
Cats 5 kg - 0.05 ml
To ensure accuracy of dosing, a suitably graduated syringe must be used when treating small animals.
Systemic corticosteroid therapy is generally contra-indicated in patients with renal disease and diabetes mellitus.
1. Special precautions for use in animals
Anti-inflammatory corticosteroids such as dexamethasone, are known to exert a wide range of side-effects. Whilst single high doses are generally well tolerated, they may induce severe side-effects in long term use and when esters possessing a long duration of action are administered. Dosage in medium to long term use should therefore generally be kept to the minimum necessary to control symptoms.
2. Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals.
In case of accidental self-injection, seek medical advice immediately and show the carton to the physician.
Pregnant women should not handle this veterinary medicinal product.
Wash hands after use.
Use of the product in horses could induce laminitis and therefore careful observations should be made during treatment.
Corticosteroids are not recommended for use in pregnant animals. Administration in early pregnancy is known to have caused foetal abnormalities in laboratory animals. Administration in late pregnancy may cause early parturition or abortion.
Cattle: Meat and offal – 7 days; Milk – 72 hours.
Horse: Meat and offal – 11 days
Available in 10ml, 20ml, 50ml or 100ml glass bottle..
Store in a cool and dry place below 25℃, protect from light.